Thursday, December 14, 2006

Met My Gastroenterologist Today...

...and I really like him! I knew I would as soon as I saw him. He's young (close to my age?) and looks like a hippie! Yeah, to hell with what you know as a physician, as long as you look cool! Actually, I'm neither that ridiculous, nor shallow, nor stupid as a patient. But I can appreciate a doc with a decent sense of style or appearance or hey, who is just unique but not in an asshole-ish kind of way--been there, escaped that.

So we go over the whole story including all of my current meds and conditions...blah, blah, blah... It looks like this is going to be a bit of lengthy process, however? We're starting off with just a general x-ray and some bloodwork and then I'm going back in about six weeks. I tried to get him to 'fess up as to what he's already got percolating upstairs but he won't tell me. I guess he doesn't want to speak out of turn about any potential diagnoses...hmm.

He actually said to me (hey medblog addict , are you listening?): "This is where I need to be a bit of a lawyer here..." I understood that he was trying to make some sort of coy reference (I guess...?) but it made me wonder if lawyers ever say that, conversely, "This is where I need to be a doctor here..."

Anyway, we also talked about the endoscopy complications of the past that I've experienced. I apologized and told him that I didn't want to be difficult but... Yes, the anxiety was already beginning to creep. He assured me that he could do whatever he needed to do under a general anaesthetic so yes, things have changed in The Land of Endoscopies over the last 20 some odd years!

I just may have to wait a while to see exactly what is going to happen procedure wise.

No comments: